Monday 6 October 2014

Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Week 2 (part 2)

Current recycled song alerts: 9

So in this portion of the blog, I'll be covering the second half of the dances from Saturday night. I'll also be giving my verdict on the dance-off and elimination. 


Caroline & Pasha - Tango - "Blame"

I wasn't a fan of the song choice, it doesn't really have that Tango beat (see last year's RihannaTango). I think because of that, the routine didn't hold my interest, I found it boring to watch - that's both of Caroline's dances now where I've said that, and that's not a good sign. Caroline's dress was a bit too long and I was waiting for her to get her heel caught, which thankfully she didn't. As for how she did, there were good and bad points. Like with Simon's Tango, I felt she was a bit too fluid (in the hold mainly), not enough staccato for me. She did well on the performance side, but she did lose the aggression when she was out of hold, particularly at the end of the routine. Give her something like a Salsa, with a good song, and hopefully I'll end up transfixed to the screen. Unfortunately for her, she's got a Rumba, presumably to the Aerosmith song from Armagheddon. 3 words: god help her.

Judges' scores: 7, 7, 7, 8 making a total of 29/40 (and an overall of 56/80)
My score: 6 (making my overall total 48/80)


Tim & Natalie - Waltz - "When You Wish Upon A Star"

X Factor advert song from a few years ago (the one with Frankie Cocozza in), that's all I think of when I hear this song. After watching the routine, you just want to say 'awwwwwww'. It was so lovely, so moving and charming. I definitely put a vote Tim's way on the night and I'm glad he stayed, as this was such an improvement on last week. He did seem to be skipping slightly on some of the steps, as if he couldn't quite keep up. I'm not sure if he had gone wrong somewhere and that was his way of trying to correct it. I'd also say that he needs to straighten up a little in his posture, as he did look hunched over throughout the routine - just straighten a fraction and then the top line would be much better. Please be nice to him producers, and give him a slow routine (but not the Rumba) this week.

Judges' scores: 5, 6, 6, 6 making a total of 23/40 (and an overall of 41/80)
My score: 4.5 (making my overall total 32/80)


Sunetra & Brendan - Cha Cha Cha - "Million Dollar Bill"

I just remember Whitney Houston's wardrobe malfunction on X Factor when she was performing this song as a guest, her dress strap had come off if I remember rightly. Anyway, onto the dance. After watching it for a second time, I get the feeling that Sunetra actually forgot a bit of the routine, she was stood still for a bit as if anticipating the next step. She also looked to go wrong a few times as well, and went off-time in trying to get back on track. Sunetra also needs to work on her arm placement, and make sure that she finishes her lines off. It wasn't a bad dance for her, but I don't think she'll be the dark horse that some people had her down as after last week. Another Ballroom for her please!

Judges' scores: 6, 6, 7, 7 making a total of 26/40 (and an overall of 50/80)
My score: 5 (making my overall total 40/80)


Mark & Karen - American Smooth - "I'm Yours"

Bad song choice in my book, it made the lifts feel shoehorned in. Also, I was struggling to tell their base dance - I suspect it was meant to be a Foxtrot, but they were moving a bit too quickly for a normal Foxtrot, so no wonder I was confused! The lifts were great, Mark did really well in the transitions and the actual lifts themselves. I thought they could have had a little more in hold if I'm honest, and I wasn't a fan of the 'cutesy' touches in Karen's choreography, it made the whole dance just a bit too sweet. I liked how the props dept recycled Matt & Aliona's swing from their Viennese Waltz just 4 long years ago *sigh*. Mark performed this well, he just needs to watch his free arm when he's doing spins (by this I mean when he's spinning himself, not the underarm turns he did with Karen as those were nice) as he didn't seem to know what to do with it and it ended up flying away from him. There was a bit of gapping too. By the way wardrobe, what on earth were you thinking of by putting him in a jumper and what looked like skinny jeans?! I'd like to see him have to be serious, so a Paso or Tango please.

Judges' scores: 6, 7, 7, 7 making a total of 27/40 (and an overall of 51/80)
My score: 6.5 (making my overall total 48/80)


Scott & Joanne - Tango - "Stop"

Worst song choice of the century. Really, a Tango to the Spice Girls? You'dve been better off recycling 'I Will Survive' from Jason Donovan's Tango if you wanted to go down the comedy route. Oh dear, I felt so sorry for Scott. He was trying but it just didn't work, not his duckface, nor his hold, nor his feet. Again, I was disappointed by Joanne's choreography, I felt she could have got him to travel the floor a bit more, and always given him something to do rather than have him stand still (the leg kicks being one such moment). To be honest, I couldn't stop staring at the pout she had on, I know the Tango is meant to be moody, but that was just weird. Producers, can you give him a nice song and a nice slow dance next week please? Sadly if the trailer's anything to go by, you'll be giving him a Samba to 'The Little Mermaid'.......

Judges' scores: 4, 5, 6, 5 making a total of 20/40 (and an overall of 36/80)
My score: 2.5 (purely because he was trying,making my overall total 22/80)


Pixie & Trent - Waltz - "Come Away With Me"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT - Martin & Erin in series 1, John & Kristina in series 6, Harry & Aliona in series 9*

I'm still not a fan of these two, Pixie if you're too busy to train then why did you sign up? It's not going to endear people to you if you keep going on about not having enough time. *rant over* Anyway, crop tops are inappropriate for Ballroom (what are the wardrobe people on this year?) and the bridge has been done so many times now - most notably Audley & Natalie's VW to 'I'm With You' by Avril Lavigne, where the very first line is 'I'm standing on a bridge', I kid you not - that it's not even funny. Some of the choreography was a bit iffy (the swan burrowing underwater before sticking its neck out being one) and repetitive (how many rende de jambes (hope I've spelled that right) do you want?), and I thought some of Pixie's arm lines were a little off. Suffice to say, I don't think she should have got 35, I thought Frankie's Waltz last week was better. Maybe Pixie is the 'overmarked of doom' contestant this year?

Judges' scores: 8, 9, 9, 9 making a total of 35/40 (and an overall of 62/80)
My score: 7.5 (making my overall total 54/80)


Steve & Ola - Cha Cha Cha - "Treasure"

Well it didn't have any pivots but I CALLED THE KNEE SLIDE! Seriously Ola, get some new choreography. Ahem, aside from that, I liked that she gave him a lot of steps to do on his own. Side-by-side can go horribly wrong if the celeb can't keep in sync with the pro, so Steve did well there. His lower half looked good, but he needs to work on his top half, and in particular his arms. He just needs to place them a bit better, and make sure that he finishes off his lines (same as Sunetra). That reminds me, is it just me or does he remind anyone else of Chris Hollins? Just with the gurning alone? It's actually quite scary. I felt Craig's tirade was uncalled for, and just a bit biased. Nice slow Ballroom next week please.

Judges' scores: 3, 6, 6, 6 making a total of 21/40 (and an overall of 47/80)
My score: 5 (making my overall total 46/80)


Frankie & Kevin - Charleston - "Happy Days Theme"

Firstly, poor Kevin trying to choreograph a Charleston to a '50s style' song that's more suited to a Jive/Rock n Roll routine. You'd think the judges would know that so why so much criticism? Have to say though, credit to Frankie for coping with such a fast and content-filled routine. I would have liked a little more on the performance side from her, but I can forgive her from that because of how quick the routine was (has any Charleston been quicker than that? I doubt it personally). I'm not sure what went wrong with the lift at the end, whether it was a mistake on Kevin's part or if Frankie didn't get to the position that she was meant to be in. She did lack a bit of swivel too. I'm still really impressed with them though and they got a difficult dance out of the way early. Maybe something like a Foxtrot or Cha Cha Cha for them next week?

Judges' scores: 7, 7, 8, 8 making a total of 30/40 (and an overall of 60/80)
My score: 8 (making my overall total 64/80)


So here's the judges' overall leaderboard (scores out of 80):
1. Jake & Janette - 63
2. Pixie & Trent - 62
3. Frankie & Kevin - 60
4. Caroline & Pasha - 56
5. Simon & Kristina - 53
6. Mark & Karen - 51
7. Sunetra & Brendan - 50
=8. Thom & Iveta, Alison & Aljaz - 48
10. Steve & Ola - 47
11. Tim & Natalie - 41
12. Jennifer & Tristan - 37
=13. Gregg & Aliona, Scott & Joanne - 36
15. Judy & Anton - 35

And here's my overall leaderboard (keep in mind that I can only do even scores):
=1. Jake & Janette, Frankie & Kevin - 64
3. Pixie & Trent - 54
=4. Simon & Kristina, Alison & Aljaz, Caroline & Pasha, Mark & Karen - 48
8. Steve & Ola - 46
9. Thom & Iveta - 42
10. Sunetra & Brendan - 40
=11. Jennifer & Tristan, Tim & Natalie - 32
13. Judy & Anton - 26
=14. Gregg & Aliona, Scott & Joanne - 22


Dance-off: Gregg & Aliona vs Jennifer & Tristan. That's not a surprising result. Judy was saved due to Anton and being bottom of the leaderboard, Scott has his Radio 1 fanbase, but neither Jennifer or Gregg have much of a fanbase to go on. 

Elimination: Gregg & Aliona (unaminous judges' decision). Right decision in my book, Jennifer has more potential, but I do think it's unfair that Gregg was eliminated on 2 'Latin' dances when everyone else had done at least 1 Ballroom. I don't think Aliona should bother coming back next year as she'll just get another duffer (Natalie too actually).

Next week, it's Movie Week, so expect badly themed costumes, songs and dances; yep, so just another normal week of Strictly. Until then,

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment