Tuesday 12 September 2017

Strictly Productions presents the class of 2017

To quote the Backstreet Boys: "oh my god, we're back again".

And indeed Strictly has returned to our screens to be a saviour in a winter where caterwauling and trying to be Total Wipeout but failing is the order of the day. *sigh* welcome back, Strictly, welcome back. 

Once again, I'll be blogging the show week on week; and I will get to the end this time (have changed jobs since the last series which gives me more time to post). Just to state in advance (having gone back through comments left on previous years' posts) - constructive criticism or saying you don't agree with my viewpoint and explaining why is fine, but any flames will just get deleted.

For those who might be reading this for the first time, just to give a little background on where my viewpoint will be coming from when critiquing the dances - I was a dancer when I was younger, albeit freestyle rather than Ballroom and Latin; I might not be able to see all of the technicalities that the judges on the show will, but there are some aspects that I can spot quite easily so I will mention those where I can. Posts this year will follow a '5 thoughts' format to begin with, up until we get to about 8 couples, when they will be longer as I'll go into more depth. I may well go back and edit my earlier 5 thoughts posts to be more in depth after too, depends how much time I'll be able to devote to that.

That's all of the general housekeeping done, so let me get on to what this post will be: as we've now had the launch show, I'll give my initial thoughts on all of the couples below, and I'll also try and predict the finishing order for this series.

Here we go!



Mollie and AJ- did think this would be likely after the reveal that Neil was sitting out; Mollie looks young for her age so I think they'll look quite good together. As cliché as it sounds, vibe-wise they remind me of Frankie & Kevin (wasn't that like an 8 year age gap as well, only the other way around?). I doubt they'll win but I reckon they could sneak in as finalists.

Davood and Nadiya- could go on a Mark Ramprakash journey, could go the way of 'THAAAAM' Evans. It'll depend on how Nadiya gets taken to I suppose, but I would say top 6 at best unless he shows some amazing ability.

Ruth and Anton- *sigh* I was hoping Ruth would end up with someone like Gio as I have my suspicions that she could be a Cherie Lunghi type. Still, at least Anton won't be hamming it up too much this series.

Gemma and Aljaz- this is my meh pairing, will follow in the footsteps of Daisy and Abbey before her and have a shock bottom 2 in approx. week 6 (Halloween week for both wasn't it?); however, I think they'll go out around Daisy's point.


Richard and Dianne- this year's comedy turn but will depend on how Dianne choreographs and is taken to. Blackpool or just before would be the limit.

Joe and Katya- dark horse dark horse dark horse.


Aston and Janette- apparently he didn't come across too well when he did 'The Island'; as most people know I'm not a fan of Janette as a pro (nothing against her personally, I just really don't like her choreography most of the time, which is a worry for Gemma considering Aljaz and Janette choreograph their partners' routines together), but, and I hate to say the following 2 words, 'Peter Andre'. That is all.

Brian and Amy- an early exit but I'm not sure he'll be first. He has a bit of an affable Bradley Walsh-vibe to him and I'll support them just for the fact that he's partnered with my namesake. He'll do well initially and then go out Tameka-style most likely.


Chizzy and Pasha- possible contender for first out, could go Lisa/Robin, could go Alison/Aljaz. Essentially, they could end up anywhere up to about top 5. The lazy script says she'll be another Tameka, but Pasha being a more popular pro (although in fairness to Gorka, it was his first series) could see them go further. I would say perhaps week 5 exit.

Debbie and Gio- she seemed nice enough when she was on Celeb Masterchef a few weeks ago, will be interesting to see how this partnership works and what Gio will do for her (love Gio so this might well be one of my fave pairings)


Jonnie and Oti- amputees have a decent record FWIW. Basically, if he makes the final then he'll win (is The Last Leg on whilst this series runs? He's made a fair few appearances on there and came across really well when he was on a lot during the Rio Paralympics, his little partnerships with Josh Widdecombe and Johnny Vegas and his friendly rivalry with Liam Malone (a Kiwi parathlete who was sadly injured during the Games) made me really warm to him). Loved Oti with Danny last year so I'll be rooting for these two for sure. One last thing, as a disabled person myself, it's so inspiring and refreshing to see someone like Jonnie on a show like this. Kudos to him as it will undoubtedly be a challenge for him, but I'm sure he'll rise to the occasion as he has done previously.

Alexandra and Gorka- OK.com, nuff said; I think she'll be this year's Louise: someone who gets high marks even if she might not really deserve it (that Paso Doble..... *shakes head*)

Simon and Karen - I think they'll go further than expected. Simon to me seems the type who will get into it all without necessarily going all Judge Rinder. I suppose a John Barnes type? Halfway mark would be my guess.

Charlotte and Brendan- to quote Craig: 'D-U-double L, DULL'. Charlotte just fades into the background for me and Brendan will either OD on his 'This Girl' trademark, or will go Autobot. My personal pick for first boot - although Brendan should be a popular pro, remember Anastacia from last year? She was deemed to be popular and yet bottom 2 on the first show and may well have been first out if not for her injury.

Susan and Kevin- YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! *calms down*. Love Susan and love KFG (best choreographer imo), this will be a new kind of partnership for Kevin so it'll be interesting to see how he puts routines together for Susan. I only pray he goes down the Aljaz route (with Alison - bit of comedy but still a lot of dancing) rather than the Anton route. I say they'll be around for a while - Blackpool at least.


Please note: when I say 'should last until' or have a guess here as to where they should finish; this would be in a normal year. The problem is that I think this will be a year when there's not so much deviation in terms of ability; so whilst I think some of them would get to Blackpool in any other year, they will most likely finish much lower. I'm not saying the standard will be exceptional, just that there won't be so much of a difference between the bottom and the mid-pack. 

And below is my (probably completely wrong) idea of where they might all finish:

1st - Jonnie & Oti
=2nd - Joe & Katya, Alexandra & Gorka
4th - Mollie & AJ
5th - Aston & Janette
6th - Davood & Nadiya
7th - Gemma & Aljaz
8th - Debbie & Gio
9th - Susan & Kevin
10th - Ruth & Anton
11th - Simon & Karen
12th - Rev Richard & Dianne
13th - Chizzy & Pasha
14th - Brian & Amy
15th - Charlotte & Brendan

So what do you reckon? Do you think I might be onto something with a few of these, or do you think I'm way off? Who are you looking forward to the most, and who will you be wanting to mute within 5 seconds? If you are reading this, please do leave a small comment below; it would be greatly appreciated but it also tells me that the views I get are genuine! 😄

Next time, I'll be reviewing week 1, and if rumours are true, everyone will be performing on the same night this year, god help us!

Until then, keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment