Friday 17 November 2017

Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Week 7 Review

I am so so sorry that this is as late as it is; I had planned numerous times to do a full rewatch but I kept falling asleep beforehand, so it's going to be a 5 thoughts based on just the dances again I'm afraid (week 8 will be back to normal).


Alexandra & Gorka - Cha Cha Cha - "I Got the Music in Me" (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! - Lulu & Brendan in series 9)

1. The thumbnail cracks me up, really, that face is as if she's sat on a washing machine doing a spin cycle (not that I've done it myself but I've heard it's a very pleasant sensation)

2. Speaking of faces, I would have liked it more had she not channelled Davood and had her mouth open most of the way through, you're not impersonating a goldfish now Alexandra!

3. Lots of sass, great footwork, excellent arms; I'm still waiting for that dance from Alex that will make me get up and clap and go 'wow!'. It's been close a couple of times (this one included) but hasn't quite got there for me yet.

4. That said, I did feel that she was off balance a few times and so I couldn't give a 10

5. A little overmarked to my taste, but given what I said before, I would give 36 which is still a good score.


Mollie & AJ - Foxtrot - "Call Me Irresponsible" (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! - Letitia & Darren in series 5)

1. At least it's not Bublé, but seriously, hasn't Mollie been on in the first 3 almost all the way through? It's as if TPTB want her out.....

2. She had the straight arm thing going on again, naughty Mollie!

3. Yep she messed up on the end of the pivot section and the end was a little scruffy; but I struggle to see what was so wrong with this in the eyes of the judges.

4. Her footwork was good (apart from that little hiccup aforementioned), hold good (apart from the straight arm), and AJ has choreographed a lovely routine (and I find most Foxtrots a little boring to watch)

5. I think I would have given 30 for this.


Joe & Katya - Charleston - "Alexander's Ragtime Band"

1. *standing ovation*

2. I knew it would be good from seeing him do swivel on It Takes Two during the week, but I didn't think it would be this good!

3. Fabulous mix of technique and comedy, whoever choreographed this should get an award, the routine was that marvellous.

4. Only one small hiccup that I could see, but how this didn't get 10s I do not know.

5. Because there was only one mistake (for me anyway) - has to be a 39.


Gemma & Aljaz - Salsa - "Sun Comes Up"

1. Ooh no, not a fan of this.

2. Gemma was lacking in energy from the start, even before the hesitation going into the first lift. I understand that she was injured, but the routine just didn't seem fast enough for a Salsa (although I don't think the song helped....)

3. Nice to see Ashley Taylor Dawson's Paso Doble saloon doors get another airing though.

4. And I did like Gemma's sass at the beginning, but then she just completely lost it and was kind of going through the motions

5. I'm really not sure of how to place this, so I'll go with a score of 26 (which iirc is what the judges gave her anyway)


Aston & Janette - Viennese Waltz - "Who's Loving You?"

1. Well I can answer the title of the song: not the British public or the judges (this week anyway)

2. Haha the thumbnail has Aston without his afro on!

3. This dance is basically Janette overacting, and having an awful hand position on Aston's shoulder.

4. I was that distracted that I struggled to really watch Aston, but then I do hate contempowafty Ballroom routines (I blame Artem, he got the ball rolling with Holly and then Natalie took the mick)

5. Again, difficult to place this but just for the sheer overacting taking place of all else, it can't have been that good, therefore will give 22.



Ruth & Anton - Paso Doble - "The Shady Dame from Seville"

1. I think this is one of those that I'll rewatch again and again, if only for the comedy.

2. In all honesty, one of Ruth's best dances, she's developed into such a good little performer.

3. The stalking kicks were awesome, must be said, and she was trying with the shaping.

4. Loved how when Hayley did her opera-bit, how it was choreographed for Ruth and Anton to be like 'stuff it, we can't compete with that'

5. I think it was better than her Tango, and a little better than Gemma so 27 for me.


Debbie & Giovanni - Tango - "I Gotta Feeling"

1. Not a 40, much as I love this couple, nope, nuh-uh, no siree.

2. What I do have to give her credit for though, is the staccato and sharpness, she did really have that down.

3. Her right arm did seem to shake a little at times, and I thought her posture was slightly off when they were coming down the centre towards the front.

4. Great routine from Gio again though, he's working wonders with Debbie. I also liked how the band slightly changed the start of the track to have more percussion in there, felt that really worked.

5. I think I would have to give this a 36 to match Alexandra, they were on a par for me in terms of mistakes.


Jonnie & Oti - Salsa - "Turn Me On"

1. That boy can lift! Still can't believe the guy is a year younger than me at 24.....

2. That reminds me, I remember when this came out back in the early 00s, man I feel old.

3. Is the Salsa one of those dances where you're meant to have your weight forward a bit? If so then I can understand what the judges meant about his upper body being good, otherwise, HUH? His footwork was much better than his upper half!

4. Not a fan of the choreography (Jonnie needed much more to do), but I will say this, he was really enjoying himself, no acting coach needed for this routine.

5. I would say on balance, a score of 24 seems fair.


Susan & Kevin - Jive - "This Ole House" (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! - Michael & Natalie in series 10)

1. I must admit, I did watch the famous Michael Vaughan & Natalie Lowe Jive to this song, and I don't really get the hype about that one? This one I did though!

2. They do look like rejects from Hairspray though with that hair, has to be said.

3. KEVIN WASN'T OVERDANCING?!? It's a Christmas miracle! (Come early)

4. No this routine was fun and entertaining with some good technique in there too. Props to Kevin. Susan was picking up her feet and keeping up with Kevin in all of the kicks and flicks (which doesn't normally happen so she did well). I do get what the judges said about her needing more retraction, but considering this should on paper have been an awful dance for her, she's come up trumps I think.

5. Score-wise, hmm, I'll put her just ahead of Mollie I think and give her 31.


Davood & Nadiya - American Smooth - "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)"

1. Parent Trap music! (The one with Lindsay Lohan back before the drugs got to her, she did a passable English accent too, fair play to her)

2. CLOSE YOUR MOUTH DAVOOD! *sigh* Sorry I got a bit Shirley-like there. Ahem. Yes he was doing his goldfish impression again. Sadly.

3. "The Bum Lift" though, that was stunning. Full kudos to him for being able to do that.

4. Footwork and frame were great, Nadiya has finally learned that traditional choreography can be good (aside from that bit on the floor at the beginning, that was a little weird), let's hope she keeps it up.

5. I think I'll have to put him with Alex and Debbie, so 36 it is.


My Leaderboard:
1. Joe & Katya - 39
=2. Alex & Gorka, Debbie & Giovanni, Davood & Nadiya - 36
5. Susan & Kevin - 31
6. Mollie & AJ - 30
7. Ruth & Anton - 27
8. Gemma & Aljaz - 26
9. Jonnie & Oti - 24
10. Aston & Janette - 22



RECYCLED SONG ALERTS this week: 3 (1/3 of the dances, naughty little pixies)
RECYCLED SONG ALERTS overall: 27

No comments:

Post a Comment