Sunday 21 October 2012

SCD Week 3 Review

Now this is one of the shows that I follow religiously, and I've seen and read so many interesting blogs on it that I thought I'd make my own. 


So last week saw the sad departure of Johnny and Aliona/Iveta, although I've heard that Iveta will be back next week as one of the female pros has had to take some time off. 

In the meantime, let's see what week 3 gave us:


Opening pro dance: Just another opportunity for Kristina to flash some flesh really, I wasn't a big fan of the routine. Who were the extra females though?

Was Tess dressed best?: Well she did have quite a nice dress on tonight, all sparkly and silver (although the bottom half seemed to be of the fishtail style that I loathe). 8/10 from me.


Fern & Artem - Charleston - "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from Mary Poppins

Hmm, Artem and Charleston don't seem to mix well. Kara's was technically good but boring, whilst Holly's was... well not great in terms of dancing or entertainment tbh. Fern's was more trying to do as little Charleston as they could get away with. There was a bit of foot swivelling in there but it wasn't executed very well and apart from that it was basically messing around with an umbrella.

Judges' scores: 5, 6, 6, 6

My score: 5


Victoria & Brendan - Rumba - "Up Where We Belong" from An Officer & A Gentleman

Started off well, but then a wardrobe mix-up seemed to throw her off. She really needs to be able to turn in order to do well at most of the dances, so for now there's not much she can do. Brendan might need to employ some "clever choreography" for her. Also, LIFT! 

Judges' scores: 4, 5, 7, 6

My score: 5


Michael & Natalie - Cha Cha Cha - "Hot Stuff" from The Full Monty

Well it couldn't get worse than last week's Jive now could it? Ballroom is definitely more his thing and Natalie will need to use that to help them stay in. The ending was as funny as last time.

Judges' scores: 3, 6, 6, 4

My score: 4


Jerry & Anton - Quickstep - "Mrs Robinson" from The Graduate

I shall have to channel Bruno here and say: "Jerry doesn't do quick". Her hold seemed better this week so that's a plus. Shame she can't be bothered to train much as with time and practice she could have been the Cherie Lunghi of the series.

Judges' scores: 3, 6, 5, 4

My score: 4


Sid & Ola - Tango - "Here I Go Again" from Rock of Ages

Sorry Ola but that was NOT a Tango whatsoever. It was messing around with a guitar and hardly anything in hold. Sid proved in his Waltz that he was good in hold so I wonder why Ola didn't play to this strength. Dare I say it? Andrew Castle was better.

Judges' scores: 4, 4, 5, 4

My score: 2


Kimberley & Pasha - Quickstep - "Get Happy" from Summer Stock

Better than last week but there were quite a few mistakes, and for some reason her top half hasn't seemed right in both this and her Foxtrot so maybe her frame is an issue? This was however what a Quickstep should be so well done Pasha.

Judges' scores: 7, 7, 7, 8

My score: 6


Denise & James - Foxtrot - "You've Got A Friend In Me" from Toy Story

The actual bits of Foxtrot were really good, but the opening and ending with the "puppet" parts I just felt were contrived and not necessary. She is technically great and the routine was nice and traditional.

Judges' scores: 8, 8, 8, 8

My score: 8


Colin & Kristina - Argentine Tango - "Goldeneye" from Goldeneye

Just as Artem can't seem to choreograph a good Charleston, Kristina can't choreograph a good Argentine Tango. This was basically a rehash of the one she did with Jason last year, but Colin did hardly anything.

Judges' scores: 7, 7, 6, 6

My score: 5


Richard & Erin - Quickstep - "9 to 5" from 9 to 5

Once again, Erin manages to pull out a decent Quickstep from a less able celeb. His footwork and hold looked quite good to me, but the routine was a little boring and I struggled to keep watching.

Judges' scores: 6, 7, 6, 6

My score: 6


Dani & Vincent - Foxtrot - "Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz

Now this I thought was great. Vincent gave Dani some really good choreography and she pulled it off (good footwork and hold too). Not exactly a "classic" Foxtrot but it worked for me. The dog at the end was a nice touch as well - I take it that was her own dog?

Judges' scores: 7, 6, 8, 8

My score: 8


Lisa & Robin - Jive - "Hanky Panky" from Dick Tracy

I don't think the song suited the Jive actually. Lisa & Robin did what they could with it but this was probably her worst dance and I was surprised at the marks. Hopefully this was her "bogey dance" and she can come back with a nice Ballroom.

Judges' scores: 8, 6, 7, 8

My score: 6


Nicky & Karen - Quickstep - "Hey Pachuco" from The Mask

A better routine from Karen this week, but Nicky still doesn't look great in terms of technique. I worry for him if he has to do the Jive. Bent knees and overmarked by the judges for definite. It seems you get overmarked by a lot if you show any sort of improvement at all.

Judges' scores: 6, 7, 7, 7

My score: 5


Louis & Flavia - Salsa - "The Time of my Life" from Dirty Dancing

First off, this was not a Salsa. It was basically a repetition of the routine from the end of the film. Granted, it was performed well and the lift was brilliant, but it wasn't a Salsa and so it should have been marked down as such.

Judges' scores: 8, 8, 6, 8

My score: 6


So Denise was flying high at the top of the leaderboard whilst Sid was left languishing at the bottom. Will Richard be able to escape the dance-off this week? Only the viewers (and judges should he end up there) can decide who will be next to leave the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment