Saturday 28 November 2015

Strictly Come Dancing 2015: Week 9 (Very late, sorry!)


Late again but bloody internet just kept playing up all week! :( It's finally back so just a preliminary draft going up at the moment and I'll edit it later to put more detail in. (It's 5.15pm and I'm just starting the edit, finishing at 6.45pm)

In the Style Stakes - best dressed was Tess, but Claud had the better hair. As for the stars of the show, I'd say Kellie, Katie, and Jay's outfits were best.

I love that Craig entered on Jeremy's prop and that Jez got his own back by giving a 3. Also, Darcey had just one thing to do at the beginning and she couldn't even do that! Agadoo is not difficult by any means.......


Jay & Aliona - Salsa - "Cuba"

Firstly, I love happy Jay, so could you make him stay like that please judges? Now I was so much more of a fan of this dance on second viewing - initially I thought that Jay's free arm was weird and that there was way too much going on, to the detriment of the routine. After my second watch, yes Jay's free arm was still idle at times, but the backing dancers weren't as intrusive as I first thought and I still focused on Jay so that must be a good sign. He kept up with the backing dancers well, no obvious mistakes as far as I could see, and the lifts were awesome. Anton's face (clearly thinking 'what am I doing here?') as he was shaking his maraca during the group conga up in the Clauditorium was priceless.

Next week, Jay has the Tango, which in theory should be a good dance for him. Will the judges get the emotion they need? Well let's face it, Peter isn't long for the Strictly world so Jay's the only male to get behind.

My score: 8.75


Jamelia & Tristan - Quickstep - "I'm a Believer"

Poor Jamelia. First having to use Chelsee's Jive music for a Quickstep, then getting drawn in the death slot for like the 3rd week in a row, and to round it all off, being booted out in the DO when she danced much better than her opponent. It was one of her better dances for sure - Tristan made that so difficult for her (and good on Len for giving it some praise as well), if anyone else had danced that it would probably be 10s. There was some gapping in places, and she lost her frame and balance occasionally, but that was definitely a Quickstep; so fast with pretty much no let-up. Synchronicity was great as well, if anything the only thing that she's guilty of is not putting in enough energy to some of the footwork. Now that could be Tristan overdancing and so making her look worse, or it could be that her stamina was lacking because of the frenetic nature of the routine (she did miss a pendulum step when they were doing the in-hold Charleston section). Either way, I saluted her after this dance.

My score: 7.5


Anita & Gleb - Paso Doble - "Malaguena"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Aled & Lilia in series 2, Natalie & Vincent in series 7, Chelsee & Pasha in series 9)*

Another of Chelsee's music choices being used this week I see, 2 within 2 dances must be some sort of record. Also, yet another early performance slot - are TPTB trying to stop 'Glita' happening? How these two are when they get introduced for the VT, means that if anyone is actually having an affair this year - I'd put some money on them. Onto the dance and I'm a little disappointed as I thought this would be better: her lines still aren't great, and was there an unintentional lift in the middle? Bit out of synch with the male dancers at the beginning but recovered well, and what is with Gleb's obsession with Anita being thrown to the floor? That being said, I can appreciate the spectacle, but I do think the music was a massive help in that (plus Gleb's showboating with getting Anita to put his jacket on him, not necessary). All in all, sorry Darcey but Susanna & Kevin's Paso is still the definitive one for me.

Rumba next week, and I get the feeling that this will either be brilliant or car-crash. Gleb's modern style of choreography should suit this dance and make it memorable (Rumbas can often be boring for me, and Foxtrot is the same), but I wonder if he might just go too far?

My score: 8


Katie & Anton - American Smooth - "Ain't That a Kick in the Head"

ERIN IS BACK! I love Anton just for that alone. Beautiful routine here from him, but Katie occasionally didn't finish off her lines and she was off-balance at times, particularly at the end (you can watch her stumble out of the final spin). I must admit that I do love drunk Katie and she was back at times during this dance - especially just after the ballerina-style spin. You can also see Anton flapping his hand against her back throughout the dance, trying to maintain the body contact. This is one of those dances where the backing dancers worked for me, even though it would have been good with just the two of them. Nice little bit of interaction between Katie and Ola when Kanton were heading up to the Clauditorium, and after this series ends, I want someone to do a montage of Anton's celebrations, it's just so sweet how happy he gets.

Next time it's the Argentine Tango, and with Katie's legs, I reckon this might just be a good one for her. That or at least she can get it out of the way whilst Peter's still around to be in the DO with.

My score: 8


Peter & Janette - Jive - "River Deep Mountain High"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Alex & James in series 9)*

Not last, there's a change - in fact halfway through proceedings, what is going on?! Bring on the VT and what accent was Peter trying to do in the part on the ITT sofa (I think it was British but then Janette didn't change her voice at all so no need really.....)? Onto the dance and erm, not much Jive content that I could see there? Thanks Bruno for sort of agreeing with me - I thought it was a bit laboured in parts, especially the leg action, and his hands were what Craig would call spatulistic. I did notice that he tried to do one of the moves that Jay did in his Jive, only Jay did it much better (it was a leg kick of sorts, whilst 'in hold'). I'm a bit surprised actually, as I thought this would be one of Peter's best dances - although Peter, stop trying to make 'the judges are right' and 'can I just say?' happen; they will never happen! That, and for one of them he's copying Darcey, he could at least try to be original. Just after they got the scores though (never an 8 in a million years Len and Bruno!), watch Aliona as she seems to be saying to Jay - 'yeah, it was never gonna beat ours was it?'. Props to Janette though, as I don't think she was overdancing this, if anything she toned it down. 

Fair enough that they ended up in the DO as this dance was just awful. I was starting to feel a bit sorry for Peter because of the backlash from Fixgate, but then Kristina revealed that he only did 4 hours of training for that Jive, and I'm back to dislike again.

Next up he has the American Smooth, and this one will be the real test for him. Get it really right, he's staying; but if it's not up to scratch then he's a goner.

My score: 5


Georgia & Giovanni - American Smooth - "I Have Nothing"

First of all, I hate this song unless Chris Colfer is singing it and then for some reason it makes me cry. But Giovanni at karaoke? LOVE! Onto the dance and this is one of those where the backing dancers ruined it as it seemed too focused on them, and they bungled up the lift with Georgia too. A little more of a Showdance for me than an American Smooth, but then I do prefer the more traditional ones like Katie's, and also Michael Vaughan's and Patrick Robinson's from previous years. This was still a brilliant routine though, would have liked a bit more of the VW in there, but I can live with it. Therefore not a fan of the 10s because the judges admitted that there were mistakes, 9s would have been perfect (this is because just before Georgia ran off to do the lift with the backers, she came out of a spin and sort of stopped and looked at Giovanni as if she needed a reminder of what was next. That, and she was out of synch with the backers in the side-by-side section towards the end). Gio singing though? More please!

Next time, Team GG have the Paso Doble to contend with, set to Rachel Stevens' music (and one of my all time fave songs, can't help wanting to hum along and head-bang to it). If the Tango was anything to go by, this could be another stand-out routine from them.

My score: 8.75


Helen & Aljaz - Charleston - "Anything Goes"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Scott & Natalie in series 8)*

Just to say, loved this VT, although Aljaz's VT acting isn't any better than Pasha's......

As a Charleston, it was a bit underwhelming and it reminded me of Kara's - clearly done well, but something missing. I did feel sorry for Helen as well as it was obvious that the delay going into the split lift put her off from thereon in. She was off-balance coming out of that lift but recovered well, then tripped on the stairs meaning that she ended up going the wrong way initially when forming the chorus line with the backing dancers. Also, it might just be me, but I did think that Aljaz was guilty of overdancing a little. From the Charlestons so far, I'd say it's under Georgia/Kellie/Anita/Jamelia/Peter (doubt the judges would agree though, and oh look, they don't). Great dance, just a shame about the mistakes. If she gets to the final, then I'd quite like her to do this one again, just putting slightly more energy and exaggeration into it.

Helen's next dance is the Viennese Waltz - she is so much better in Ballroom, so elegant and graceful, that this should be the moment that she finally gets 10s.

My score: 7.75


Kellie & Kevin - Quickstep - "9 to 5"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Carol & Matthew in series 4, Richard & Erin in series 10)*

First of all - a VT that actually relates to training?! That, and they saw the office scenario from Alison & Aljaz's Foxtrot last year, and raised it with this. No obvious mistakes that I could see, so cue Craig to tell me... oh no he doesn't. Therefore, fully deserved 10 from Bruno. [Just watched it back, and still couldn't spot any mistakes - she kept up with Kevin throughout, maintained good frame, footwork was all in perfect synch with Kevin (I deliberately looked at that). This is what his Quickstep with Susanna should have been, and I take my hat off to Kellie for doing so well here]. She was even in perfect synch when with the backing dancers! Think she was undermarked here personally.

Next time it's the Salsa, and I have a horrible feeling that they'll be getting another awful song choice (spoiler: I was right)

My score: 10



My Leaderboard (scores x by 4):
1. Kellie & Kevin - 40
=2. Jay & Aliona, Georgia & Giovanni - 35
=4. Anita & Gleb, Katie & Anton - 32
6. Helen & Aljaz - 31
7. Jamelia & Tristan - 30
8. Peter & Janette - 20



*RECYCLED SONG ALERT!* count: 37 so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment