Sunday 10 December 2017

Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Semi-Final


Pre-show VT: Yep we know Debbie can get her leg up, ooh who was the conductor?



Celeb Watch: previous contestants Danny Mac, Judge Rinder, Ore, and Melvin Odoom



The Fashion Police Segment:

Tess or Claud?: Oh I can’t decide, probably Tess, just (even though her dress is more suited to the Xmas Special)

Darcey or Shirley: Deffo Shirl, Darcey’s dress is barely there

Best Dressed Couple: Gemma & Aljaz

Worst Dressed Couple: I’d have to go with Mollie & AJ, purely because I’m not a fan of the skirt of her dress

Not Matching: hold up, they all do this week!



Joe & Katya – Dance 1 – American Smooth – “Have You Met Miss Jones?”

1.       LITERAL SONG CHOICE ALERT! At least it’s the Robbie Williams version though, I do like that one.

2.       Wow, that was fantastic! So elegant and traditional, and the lifts were beautiful.

3.       Posture is much improved, arm lines were exquisite, footwork looked very good to me.

4.       I think he did hunch over at one point (I wonder if that was the point where he lost balance as Craig mentioned), so can’t quite give a 10, but it was so close.

5.       I would give 9.5 out of 10 so would be 38 overall for me (they scored 35). Aww Anton had his hand on Debbie’s shoulder in the Clauditorium. Oh bloody hell, Ore again!?!  I want someone to lock him in a vault for a few months as he’s bloody everywhere. Haha Aljaz and Kevin having a little sway in the background.


Alex & Gorka – Dance 1 – Viennese Waltz – “Everybody Hurts” (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! – Rachel & Vincent in series 6)

1.       If I remember rightly, wasn’t this Rachel & Vincent’s VW song, just that it was the original rather than the Tina Arena version that Alex is doing? (EDIT: Checks back, yes it was)

2.       Bit too much contempowaft for me and not enough in hold.

3.       I thought Alex could have had slightly more lyricism in her arms at times, although they were much better than her previous Ballroom dances. Her hand placement on Gorka’s shoulder wasn’t completely perfect, she was clinging on occasionally, and her right arm seemed to be straight sometimes, which Mollie has been criticised for before.

4.       It was an extremely good dance though, just not my cup of tea personally.

5.       I think I would give 34 overall (they scored 39). Somehow I think they’ll try and keep her out of the dance off……. Gorka stop doing the phone sign, it doesn’t help you. I wonder if Ore was jealous that Tess talked to Danny and Rinder rather than him, although it didn’t look like him in the chair next to Danny where he was before…..


Mollie & AJ – Dance 1 – Samba – “Whenever Wherever” (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! – Roger & Camilla in series 2, Susanna & Kevin in series 11)

1.       “SAVE ME KEVIN!” – oh come on, everyone has to remember that part?

2.       Well, you can’t say Mollie didn’t let go in that. Or that AJ didn’t take inspiration from Danny & Oti’s Samba from last year.

3.       I agree with Craig that the Samba rolls were really awkward, but I do think he was a bit harsh.

4.       She did miss some of her arm lines occasionally, and she struggled to keep up with the music. Oh good lord, Shirley had a little attack of the Brunos. Bruno was quite cutting as well.

5.       I think I would go for a 28 overall (they scored 24). I loved Mollie repeatedly saying sorry and AJ repeatedly telling her not to. Looks like AJ didn’t have enough influence with the producers to make them avoid the Samba in this round. WHAT?! 4 is way too harsh Craig. Aww they’re way too cute.


Gemma & Aljaz – Dance 1 – Rumba – “Beneath Your Beautiful”

1.       Hmm, not sure what to make of Gemma saying she was disappointed with the scores last week….

2.       I don’t think I’ve liked any of Aljaz’s Rumbas, and this was no exception sadly.

3.       I do feel that they got the connection, but I felt the hip action wasn’t brilliant, she didn’t settle into her hips the way that Ian always talks about on ITT.

4.       Her arms were much better, but I do agree with Shirley that it was lacking a little bit of lyricism.

5.       I reckon I’ll give a 32 (they scored 30). No Tess, Aljaz is not adorable, he’s like a child given too many sweets. Brendan had an ‘Anton’ outfit on in the background, nice little sway he had going on there whilst Gemma & Aljaz had a brief dance.


Debbie & Giovanni – Dance 1 – Jive – “I’m So Excited”

1.       Oh Debbie, it’s the first dance of hers that I’ve been a bit disappointed with.

2.       Her legs were a bit too straight I think? And it looked like she was waiting for the next move at times.

3.       Timing seemed a bit off occasionally as well. But I did love that opening.

4.       Craig! Her facial expressions were nowhere near as bad as Davood’s and Alex’s (at times) have been this series.

5.       I’d give a 30 I think, somewhere between Mollie and Gemma (they scored 34), aww Gio saying she was better than him. Hehe at Dianne, Pasha and Anton having a little bobble in the background.


Joe & Katya – Dance 2 – Argentine Tango – “Human”

1.       Darcey seemed to take the lead in that convo? Who’s Head Judge here Darce? Love Katya’s hair but not their outfits.

2.       Not a fan at all but loved that part at the end when Katya took Joe’s weight on her.

3.       I didn’t like Joe’s posture, and they both had a bit of a stumble a little after the beginning.

4.       His footwork was good and I liked the concept, but it didn’t look like he was in control really.

5.       I think I would give a 29 (they scored 35). *Gasp* Janette has disappeared, yay!


Alex & Gorka – Dance 2 – Salsa – “Finally”

1.       I think Gorka possibly threw a bit too much in there for her.

2.       The armography sections were fabulous, but her free arm was off at times and that last lift just looked wrong.

3.       Darcey’s version of Len pickling his walnuts…..

4.       Alex’s face after Craig’s critique….

5.       I would give 37 I think, but cue a 40 from the judges I reckon (and so it does). Gorka hugging himself and lifting Claud were highlights of that little interlude.


Mollie & AJ – Dance 2 – Waltz – “Angel” (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! – Rachel & Vincent in series 6)

1.       Judges painting Mollie as the underdog there…..

2.       That was both beautiful and emotional, loved it.

3.       Darcey talking way too much again

4.       Felt her right arm was slightly too straight at times. Her footwork was quality, loved the choreography from AJ, her arm lines were very good too.

5.       Think I would give a 36 (they scored 32). Aww Mollie knows she’s probably a goner. If a 32 is Mollie’s highest score then she’s in trouble.


Gemma & Aljaz – Dance 2 – Tango – “My Sharona”

1.       Not quite sure what to make of that, but I couldn’t help thinking that it was a Kevin song.

2.       Her hand placement wasn’t perfect, she got it by the end but her hand was splayed at the beginning.

3.       Loved the intensity from her, but felt she wasn’t quite sharp enough in the frame at times.

4.       I did like the choreography on this one. Bravo Aljaz.

5.       I’ll give that a 35 I think (they scored 32). Cue Janette coming into shot. “Not a single dance step in her life” Aljaz? We know that’s not strictly true….


Debbie & Giovanni – Dance 2 – Foxtrot – “Isn’t She Lovely?” (RECYCLED SONG ALERT! – Zoe & Ian in series 3)

1.       The judges seemed to praise Debbie as much as Alex but that question ‘does she deserve to be in the Grand Final?’ – does that really need to be asked?

2.       Aww that was lovely, go Debbeh!

3.       Bruno doing his own special version of Len pickling his walnuts

4.       The only thing I noticed was that Craig brings up the 10 second rule as and when he likes and only for these two (they were out of hold for longer but he needs to be consistent with when he deducts marks for it). Hmmm......

5.       I would give a 40 (they scored 36). Couldn’t spot anything wrong myself so I have to. Aww Gio. I love this little partnership. The others seemed more happy for her than they did most of the others……



My Leaderboard:

1.       Alex & Gorka: 34 + 37 = 71

2.       Debbie & Gio: 30 + 40 = 70

    =3.   Joe & Katya: 38 + 29 = 67, Gemma & Aljaz: 32 + 35 = 67

     5.    Mollie & AJ: 28 + 36 = 64



RECYCLED SONG ALERTS! – this week: 4 (out of a possible 10? Very very lazy indeed from the SPPs)

RECYCLED SONG ALERTS! – overall: 40 (3.33 for an average)

No comments:

Post a Comment