Saturday 1 January 2022

A new year, and a new focus for this blog!

It's been a little over 4 years since I last posted here - I was going through some awful things with my job at the time and I needed to take a break from things. I'm thankfully doing much better now, and I feel ready to return to posting.

So why am I posting again after so long? I've been thinking about this for a little while, and I reckon the time is right for a fresh start. I'm turning 30 this coming week and re-starting this blog (albeit with a new focus) is on my 'Things to do before I hit the big 3-0' list - alongside getting my first, and perhaps only, tattoo (which I got last month). 

As I've mentioned already, there's going to be a new focus for my posts. I'll still do some reality show reviews (Masked Singer is one I have in mind, alongside Strictly at the end of the year), but these will no longer be all I post about on here. 

Going through 2 bouts of unemployment in the last couple of years has made me really think about my personal finances. Trying to make sure I have enough to cover my monthly bills, whilst also looking to maximise any savings. Luckily I've always been alright, no real scares of not having enough to worry about, but I know full well that this might not always be the case. 

With this in mind, I started investing back in August 2020. I had savings which just weren't doing anything, and I'd rather try and make something work than just leave it and hope for the best. I initially started with shares in just 3 companies (one of which I still have), but now I have both my stocks & shares ISA which I hold with Interactive Investor, and my self-invested pension (SIPP) which I hold with Fidelity. 

I aim to use this blog to post about my investment and savings journey - how much dividend income I'm getting each month, any changes I've made to my portfolio, any tools that I've found useful to help improve my financial health; all of that will be posted on here. It will help to keep me focused on my goal of FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early), and who knows whether it might help someone to begin their own financial journey? 

I'll look to post about finances on Fridays, at least a couple of times per month if not once a week. My report on my previous month's dividend income will always go up on the first Friday of the month, although this Friday (the 7th) is my 30th birthday so instead there will be a post either on Thursday or at the weekend revealing my current ISA and SIPP portfolios and what I might be looking to achieve this year. 

Until then, keep safe, keep well, and keep reading. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment