Monday 31 January 2022

The Masked Singer - weeks 3, 4 and 5 mini round-up

Morning everyone and apologies for being AWOL the last few weeks - I've had a really bad cough and have also lost some hearing as a consequence, so I haven't been able to rewatch the episodes like I've previously done. I do feel bad about not posting so thought I'd do a smaller post covering the missing weeks together and then hopefully I can rewatch the future episodes from there. 


Week 3: Bagpipes was unmasked as Pat Cash - even the forums were split on whether this was Pat Cash or John McEnroe. I only got it from the last clue package where there was a sign that had a 'no entry' symbol over someone using a debit card. Nice to see Davina get one right as well.


Week 4: Poodle was unmasked as Tom Chaplin from Keane - admittedly I wasn't sure to begin with, but the clue packages fitted and I could hear him in the sing-off version of 'Symphony'. I wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a line-up though, same as when Ricky Wilson from Kaiser Chiefs joined The Voice, as I remember them before they lost weight and had completely different hairstyles. I can see why the panel didn't guess him, as I think this is one where you needed the clues first and then the voice slots into place after.


Week 5, elimination 1: Firework was unmasked as Jaime Winstone - I didn't get this one, I could hear Pixie Lott during the week 4 performance. This was one where there were quite a few guesses on the forums, but someone did guess Jaime before the show. Bad luck to the panel when they had said her name previously.


Week 5, elimination 2: Doughnuts was unmasked as Michael Owen - I think the whole world and his dog got this one right. He wasn't too bad for a non-singer, and as a 90s child, I thoroughly appreciated that his final song was 'Everybody Get Up' by 5ive (although the band is now 3hree). I don't really follow football so I couldn't get it from the speaking voice, but there was enough in the clue packages to steer you towards him (red herring of 'Capri-Corn Flour' aside).


Now for my guesses for the remaining contestants:

Robobunny - said this all along, 100% Mark Feehily from Westlife.

Mushroom - very good at disguising her voice, but the clues are pointing me towards Charlotte Church.

Rockhopper - 100% Michelle Williams from Destiny's Child.

Traffic Cone - this is one where I just have no idea. Popular forum guess of Aled Jones doesn't fit for me, not with how much they sounded like Rick Astley during their first song. I'm going to go for 'Morten Harket mark 2' and guess Rick Astley.

Panda - I'm going to go with the forum consensus of Natalie Imbruglia, even though I can't personally hear her.


As a side-note, both series 1 and 2 had 7 professional singers out of 12 (Denise van Outen and Martine McCutcheon have sung professionally but they're more known for other things so I haven't included them). If this series were to follow the same mould then there should be one non-singer within our top 5 - looks like this would have to be Traffic Cone.

No comments:

Post a Comment