Sunday 20 December 2015

Strictly Come Dancing 2015: The Final!

Decided to do this in one long post rather than separate ones. And because I'm making sure that I get it all up now (as I never managed it last year), it's just going to be a more basic post at the moment, which I will probably edit and update in the future (initial post will be up 20/12/2015, who knows when the update will be).

Style Stakes: Tess wins for show 1 (you could see Claudia wasn't wearing a bra in her dress), whilst Claud takes it for show 2 (that white suit was not flattering Tessy at all).


Katie & Anton:

Judges' Pick (Quickstep)
- Started off with her prop hat being disobedient (don't have a go judges, she styled it out really well like she did with her Foxtrot), actual dance was going well, synch was great. Then it all went wrong about 2/3 in when she lost balance and Anton was having to drag her into position. Couldn't recover from there sadly. Marks spot on this time.

Showdance ('O Fortuna')
- Loved how Katie was styled (but then she's always looked glamorous and awesome, all through this series). Think Anton missed a trick with the choreography, he made it a bit too Paso-style which Katie didn't do so great on back in Halloween week (she did make a good Christine though); he would've been better off going a more Tango-style route - and would have been good for those of us who wanted to see their Lady-Gaga-but-orchestra-style routine in the final. Death drop was great, even though Anton nearly dropped her! As much as I loved Katie, on these first 2 showings, she and Anton had to go after that. (I wouldn't say what my marks were, showdances to me are subjective so I don't think they can really be 'marked' objectively)

KATIE & ANTON WERE ELIMINATED IN 4TH PLACE.


Georgia & Giovanni:

Judges' Pick (Rumba):
- So much better than last time, even though the cringe beginning with Georgia on her own rubbing herself was still there. Giovanni did a fantastic job with the additional choreography, and although she could have done with a bit more hip action for me, I think the dress (although absolutely stunning on Georgia, I forget she's only a year older than me) didn't help much. Straight drop was done well like last time. I'd say marks were about right here (I'dve probably gone one or two less).

Showdance ('Fix You')
- Nice gimmick with the blindfold at the beginning (it's something I've thought of and used myself when competing in Strictly-based games on the DS forums), but considering the song choice, was it a little offensive? (Not really my opinion but I was watching the show with my mom and she brought that up. Thinking about it, I can kind of see her point, even though I don't necessarily agree). Good song choice though and the Viennese Waltz section was exquisite. I'm surprised this didn't score more actually, I thought this was going to be a 40.

Couples' Pick (Charleston):
- Fan-flipping-tastic! Performed just as well as last time, previously she wasn't in synch with Gio during the hat-spinning section at the end but it looks as though she's corrected that. Lifts and tricks done as brilliantly as before. Well deserved 40 imo (and I'm not a fan of theirs).

GEORGIA & GIOVANNI WERE RUNNERS-UP.


Kellie & Kevin:

Judges' Pick (Tango):
- Bit of an odd choice judges? I'dve gone with their Foxtrot or Waltz personally, as this just had a few too non-Tango elements for me (basically the beginning before they get into hold). When they did get into hold it was amazing from there. Kevin singing along with the 'oh no!' bit actually worked with this dance, and I did find it funny that this was the bit used on the recaps. That being said, not sure this was worth 40. 

Showdance ('Ding Dong Daddy.....' - yep, can't remember what the rest of it was and a bit too long to write):
- WOW! Even though this was a bit of a cop-out given that they were doing their Charleston as well; that doesn't change the fact that this was an epic Showdance. Lifts and tricks were superb, synch was great. Kevin has done 3 completely different Showdances now, and I'd put this way clear of the ones for Susanna and Frankie. I wanted to give a standing ovation at the end, but it would have disturbed my dog and cause him to bark his head off. Agreed with the 40 on this one.

Couples' Pick (Charleston):
- I'm glad they picked this, as I loved it when I saw it back in week 3 (or was it 4? I'm sure this was the same week as Georgia's Rumba which I believe was week 3.....). Just wish they'd put in a bit more content that had them together, as even though we know that Kellie is fab at the side-by-side stuff, that's not all we want to see. Synch was awesome as always though.

KELLIE & KEVIN WERE RUNNERS-UP.


Jay & Aliona:

Judges' Pick (Quickstep):
- Still hate the song, but still loved the dance. Not sure where the judges saw the stumbles, as I thought Jay's synch with Aliona was great (I deliberately watched the feet here), and his hold seemed strong as well. Thought this may have been a bit undermarked.

Showdance ('I Can't Feel My Face'):
- Ironic song choice of the year (if only this was given to Daniel O'Donnell then it would have been perfection), as much as I love Jay, facial expressions aren't his strongest point. Aliona took a risk in going for a more understated montage of a Showdance, and although Jay did brilliantly with it, I don't think it quite worked for me. Going the cool and collected route was the right idea, but I think they needed a better song choice (just look at his Salsa, Charleston, and THAT JIVE and compare them to this); now I'm by no means a fan of Tom Chambers, but his Showdance should have provided a reference point for Aliona here. 

Couples' Pick (Paso Doble):
- Not much I can say about this really. Jay looked a lot stronger in his posture and his timing was better, but I can't help imagining Mark Ramprakash dancing this and thinking it would have 'looked' better - he has the curse of Ashley Taylor Dawson in that he just doesn't look that masculine in dances like the Tango, Argentine Tango and Paso Doble, even though he's doing everything right. It's just an aesthetic thing for me, so scores were more than likely correct here.

JAY & ALIONA WERE NAMED CHAMPIONS.


^ I was happy that Jay won, if it was on an overall standing. However I did feel that Kellie had completely stomped on everyone in this final and I did want Kevin to get his '3rd time lucky' moment as he's done some exceptional choreography this series, even with the more odd song choices. Did think it was a bit unprofessional how the rest of the pros and celebs clearly wanted Kellie to win, but I'm still happy for Jay and that Aliona is the first professional to win twice (I was scared that it would be Artem).

Well that's me done for another series. I hope anyone who has read the blog has enjoyed it, even with my time being taken up with work which delayed quite a few posts! I've just got the final Dance League Table to upload and then that's series 13 finished.

I'm hoping to be back next year, and if I manage to find a job where there isn't so much travel time (and that is really the main reason for the delays) then I'm considering branching out into blogging on other shows, like Bake Off and The Apprentice. Depends on what I can find there.

So until next time, keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment