Thursday 1 October 2015

Strictly Come Dancing 2015: Week 1 (Night 2)

So last time we saw the first 6 couples strut their stuff on the Strictly Dancefloor for the first time this series. They can basically be summed up thus:

Kellie: wardrobe got the wrong memo, and apparently Kevin only got half of it
Anthony: injured but undermarked
Helen: FEET!
Carol: awkward and 'duffer' (what we've wanted for Pash for awhile, fair play and all that!)
Daniel: oddly charming (the wind has changed and he's stuck like that, I'm dreading his Latin face)
Anita: pleasant surprise, where was Gleb?


And so we now move on to the Saturday portion of proceedings. In the Style Stakes: it was a close call but I think Tess just about won (Claud's dress didn't quite fit her properly). Opening pro dance to 'Shut Up & Dance' (what I thought every time I saw Mark Wright last year, and what I'll most likely be thinking every time I see Peter Andre this series) - I didn't notice until someone pointed it out later but it was a homage to films with famous dances, and who was the randomer with (now) red-haired Joanne?

And as the celebs walk down the stairs, I think to myself: I get that you're nervous Jay but for god sake just acknowledge the audience with a little wave and clap when you get down to the bottom! If Jeremy Vine can do it then so can you.

Funnily enough, Jay's on first, which usually means 'good but won't be top of the leaderboard', so let's see how he, and the rest of them get on.........................


Jay & Aliona - Cha Cha Cha - "Reach Out (I'll Be There)"

Ok, so even though I ribbed him a bit before, I do love Aliona so I was happy when I saw (while in Mexico) that she had got Jay. He's the member of The Wanted that you'd forget when you were trying to name them: the talented one (Nathan), the one who used to be with Michelle Keegan (Max), the one who was on Masterchef (Tom), and the one with the odd name (Siva); so I came into this knowing pretty much nothing about him. I think after seeing him on Saturday and on ITT this week that he's going to be a favourite of mine in the same way that I like Tamal on Bake Off.

Onto the dance itself, and for a week 1 Cha Cha Cha by a male, it's pretty damn good. His hip action looked alright and I think he'll probably have the technique down for most Latin dances if his footwork here was anything to go by. Jay will need to work on his arms though, as he kind of just threw them out instead of extending properly into the line (oh good lord, I'm starting to sound like Craig and Darcey and this will never do!), and his free arm was just dangling on a few occasions. You could tell that he was nervous as well, so he could have a problem with 'letting go' in the more party dances (Samba/Salsa, might have issues with Charleston and Rumba as well).

They've got Waltz this week, so I'm quite hopeful that they'll do a great dance *fingers crossed*

My score: 6.5


Kirsty & Brendan - Waltz - "Vincent"

Kirsty was one where I wasn't sure what my opinion of her was beforehand, she could go either way: I just hoped it wasn't the 'Gabby Logan way' (no offence to Gabby but there's a reason that she went out early in her series and it wasn't the dancing). Would she be another Pendledrama, or another Bacofoil (Victoria Pendleton/Lisa Snowdon)? I do have to admit that I love the Strictly Come Bitching's blog take on this routine - and I think it says everything - so I shall just leave you to go there.

I know, I know, I've cheated by not including my own thoughts on here, but they've said exactly what I wanted to say and in such a brilliant way as well, I think you can hopefully allow me that this once.

God help her if she ever has to do Viennese Waltz. Luckily (or maybe not) for Kirsty, she's got Salsa this week. I do wonder if the 'dazed' face she had on in this dance will reappear.......

My score: 4


Jeremy & Karen - Cha Cha Cha - "September"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Diarmuid & Nicole in series 2)*

I knew Jeremy from both my years as a Law/Politics student, and as a host of 'Eggheads' (love his banter with Judith btw). All I will say on his personality after that Cha Cha Cha is this, and it's exactly what I said to my mom when the dance had finished: there's a reason that Tim Vine is his brother.

Onto the dance itself, and I must admit that I didn't get the swingometer part until after the dance had finished (Labour leader election was in September). But apart from that, this was one of my favourite routines of the night, for pure entertainment value alone. Jeremy in this dance was Mark Foster, Jake Wood, Steve Backshall and Chris Hollins all rolled into one. He's my favourite kind of duffer, one that knows they're not going to be around for long so just gives it everything. His arms were awful and his footwork so-so, but those hips, man! *fans herself akin to Darcey*

This dynamic duo have got the American Smooth this week, and I'll be putting some votes their way just for the song alone (songs and dances will be posted at the end). Jeremy should be ok with this, you'd think.

My score: 4.5


Georgia & Giovanni - Jive - "Dear Future Husband"

Urgh, dropped down my rankings for the 'Little Georgia from Bury' shtick alone. This is obviously the 'showmance' of the series, which is hilarious as we all know she's dating 'him-who-has-just-buggered-off-from-Corrie'. Producers, we have more intelligence than you credit us with.

As for the dance, disgustingly cute. The song kind of reminded me of a poor man's version of 'Dance With Me Tonight' by Olly Murs, and the dance reminded me of a poor man's version of Dani & Vincent's Jive (although I appreciate that Dani did hers later on, week 5 I think). It looked decent enough from Georgia, but she almost stumbled coming out of those 2 spins - some spotting help needed there Giovanni, do the whole 'look into my eyes' trick - and although her kicks and flicks were well placed, they just lacked some welly. In all fairness though, it didn't help that Giovanni was going for it like the clappers ('outdancing' pro - check!). I think Georgia will do relatively well, but I get the feeling that she won't be around at the end.

So for Saturday, she's got the Waltz ('pun' song choice - check!), and I reckon she'll do decently, just that spotting as I mentioned earlier, she needs to get that down and fast!

My score: 5.75


Ainsley & Natalie - Tango - "Voulez-Vous"

Oh I do love these two together, I find Natalie so much more likeable since she had her first 'duffer' in Audley Harrison (I was not a fan of hers in her Ricky Whittle days.....). With that song choice, I had a feeling that this routine was going to be more camp than Scott Mills' Samba, and I was right.

I think 2 words are all that is required: Ainsley's face! That Tango face was a delight (and I did see Natalie grinning and singing along, love her!) and although he took the 'Parisian garcon' character just a BIT too far, and his hold was more Quasimodo than anything else, I absolutely loved it. One more thing: whoever rearranged this song to make it more Tango-y, was a bloody genius, as it sounded awesome (I'd certainly buy it).

Salsa for Ainsley to 'Don't Touch My Tomatoes' - *facepalms at the producers for the umpteenth time*. From the adverts on Food Network (showing #TeamAinsley) he does have the possibility of some good hip action and I think this might be the best dance for him - well, it's probably going to be better than Kirsty's at least........

My score: 4.5


Katie & Anton - Jive - "Roll Over Beethoven"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Chris & Ola in series 7)*

Ooh here we go: could this be Anton's year?! (The storyline we fans dream up at the start of every series, usually has the question end with a disappointed but resounding 'NO!') I must admit that although I'd heard of Katie before the show, I hadn't seen anything with her on so knew nothing about her. After this dance, I might just be throwing a few votes to them over the weeks (after Anthony, Jeremy and Jay ofc).

WOW! I didn't think she'd be this good (although on second viewing, it's not as impressive). Legs to die for Katie, I must say. Well we know she can do turns and spins just fine (she could probably give Georgia help on those), but she did lose timing on a couple of occasions, and just like Giovanni, Anton was outdancing his partner. Good dance for week 1 though, and loved Anton's happy dance up in the Clauditorium afterwards.

Our sophisticated twosome have to do a Tango to 'Telephone', now this could go well or horribly wrong - depends what sort of mood Anton's in on Saturday I think.

My score: 5.5


Iwan & Ola - Tango - "Keep On Running"

*sigh* will the producers never learn! Another 'pun' track (pun not really intended there) and then they make it worse by projecting a running track on the floor - and then Ola goes and tops it all off with the beginning of that routine; she clearly doesn't want to come back next year.

Well what can I say about that? Worst bits of Robbie Savage and Ashley Taylor Dawson's Tangos combined, and when you're thinking that Robbie Savage was better than this, you know it's bad. Ola was also doing the Natalie grin during the dance, you know how we used to say when Erin had mentally checked out and was on Erin Island (just Monkseal then? ok), well I think Ola's got there already and is telling James to make a voodoo doll of her and stick pins in to get her out of the show.

Anyway, this duo have got a Cha Cha Cha coming up and all I can say is 1. Look at the song choice, and 2. I get the feeling that I'll be laughing myself silly like I was with Jeremy.....

My score: 3.5 (it's only fair to Carol)


Jamelia & Tristan - Waltz - "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man"

Jamelia's an odd one - I kind of have to support her because she's the local contestant (Dudley to Birmingham), but then I'm not a fan of hers. 

Onto the dance: and like a few others I think this was undermarked, especially compared to Kirsty's effort (it's about the score that I would give it, but there's been a lot of overmarking for me). Now Wardrobe have been quite kind to a lot of the celebs this series so far, but this was awful and not helped by the fact that Jamelia has quite broad shoulders (something my mom pointed out when she started dancing and I've been a bit fascinated by them ever since); I'd almost go as far as to say swap her's and Kirsty's outfits (as Kirsty's dress was gorgeous!). I could see what the judges said about her not closing her feet, and also, like Jay, needs to extend her arm lines more as she rushes them a little at times and spoils the shape. If the end pose was anything to go by then she's not as supple as I thought she would be.

Next time, they've got the moneysupermarket.com song as their Cha Cha Cha (you know the one, and I suspect the guy in the end would dance it better), and I expect Jamelia to come out and give it some sass, like Alesha did for her Beyoncé legendary routine.

My score: 5.25


Peter & Janette - Cha Cha Cha (apparently) - "Ain't No Other Man"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Jade & Ian in series 7)*

If this was a Cha Cha Cha, then I'm a Dutchman (and that's wrong on both counts). The thumbnail on the BBC website (which is where I'm doing a second viewing of all the dances) is not kind to Janette at all, poor thing. 

As for the dance itself, I really thought that with that song, Janette could have choreographed a great and authentic Cha Cha to it (like Ian did with Jade back in series 7) but alas it wasn't to be. Instead we got... well.... this. This did not deserve top scoring of the night, let alone the weekend. I always think the marking should be 'how well did the celeb do at performing (  ) dance style?', so the judges on this made me go like 'what the hell?'. Now I'm not a fan of Peter, but what Janette gave him he did well for the most part. He looks like he could have some good hip action in him, fast footwork and he can certainly go with the performance side (in most Latin and QS definitely, not sure about Ballroom and Rumba). But yeah - NOT A CHA CHA CHA!

On Saturday, these two will be doing the only Quickstep of the night. Janette's choreography skills (what she has of them) don't really stretch to Ballroom, Tango aside possibly, so how she tries to do this will be interesting to see. 

My score: 6.25


Judges' Leaderboard (overall with night 2 in bold):
1. Peter & Janette - 30
2. Helen & Aljaz - 29
=3. Kellie & Kevin, Anita & Gleb, Jay & Aliona, Georgia & Giovanni - 27
7. Katie & Anton - 26
8. Daniel & Kristina - 24
=9. Anthony & Oti, Jamelia & Tristan - 21
=11. Kirsty & Brendan, Ainsley & Natalie - 20
13. Jeremy & Karen - 19
14. Iwan & Ola - 17
15. Carol & Pasha - 16

My Leaderboard (overall with night 2 in bold):
=1. Helen & Aljaz, Anita & Gleb - 28
=3. Daniel & Kristina, Kellie & Kevin, Jay & Aliona - 26
6. Peter & Janette - 25
7. Anthony & Oti - 24
8. Georgia & Giovanni - 23
9. Katie & Anton - 22
10. Jamelia & Tristan - 21
=11. Jeremy & Karen, Ainsley & Natalie - 18
13. Kirsty & Brendan - 16
=14. Carol & Pasha, Iwan & Ola - 14


Songs and dances for week 2 (taken from Strictly website):

Ainsley and Natalie will be serving up a Salsa to ‘Don’t Touch My Tomatoes’ by Josephine Baker.
Anita and Gleb will be performing the Charleston to ‘Pencil Full Of Lead’ by Paolo Nutini.
Anthony and Oti will be Waltzing to ‘If You Don’t Know Me By Now’ by Simply Red.
Carol and Pasha will be performing the American Smooth to ‘Isn’t This A Lovely Day’ by Irving Berlin.
Daniel and Kristina will be performing the Charleston to ‘Let’s Misbehave’ by Cole Porter.
Georgia and Giovanni will be Waltzing to ‘Georgia On My Mind’ by Ray Charles.
Helen and Aljaž will be performing the Cha Cha to Uptown Girl by Billy Joel.
Iwan and Ola will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Sexy And I Know It’ by LMFAO.
Jamelia and Tristan will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Don’t Cha’ by Pussycat Dolls.
Jay and Aliona will be Waltzing to ‘See The Day’ by Dee C Lee.
Jeremy and Karen will be performing the American Smooth to ‘Happy Together’ by The Turtles.
Katie and Anton will be Tangoing to ‘Telephone’ by Lady Gaga feat. Beyonce.
Kellie and Kevin will be performing the Cha Cha to ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’ by Elton John & Kiki Dee.
Kirsty and Brendan will be performing the Salsa to ‘Can’t Touch It’ by Ricki Lee.
Peter and Janette will be Quickstepping to ‘Valerie’ by The Zutons.
^ Apologies, this was taken directly from the blog on there.

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT!* count: 6 so far

No comments:

Post a Comment