Friday 16 October 2015

Strictly Come Dancing 2015: Week 3 (part, the only)

So major apologies, it's another '5 thoughts'-style post this week. 12-8 shifts and not getting back after 9, plus trying to sort out various work-related stuff whilst I've been at home, means that I haven't been able to sit down and write out my normal 2-3hr blog posts. I've got earlier shifts next week though, so hopefully I can park myself at my laptop one of the nights (probably early on) and bang out a long post again :D

Ainsley & Natalie:
1    1. Bit too much penguin and not enough Cha Cha Cha for me, Nat went a bit too far off piste with this one
2    2.  Did he go really out of time at one point, and struggle to get it back?
3    3. Love the penguin touches on the costumes though
4        4. And at least their VT was somewhat related to their routine/training (well, more than most)
5    5. I’d actually say this was overmarked in all honesty…..

Anita & Gleb:
1    1.  I’m a crab!
2    2. Was Flavia back in the room?
3    3. The gazing into each other’s eyes when the VT was about to start was a little odd though
4    4. I actually quite liked this dance, and thought it deserved a little more than it got
5    5. It might just be me, but I didn’t think there was much VW in the actual dance. Bit more contempo-wafting (but in the nicest possible way)

Anthony & Oti:
1    1. Oh. Good. Lord.
2    2. I was just staring at his bad arm all the way through
3    3. Poor guy, if only Strictly were like DOI and said that he could withdraw and come back next year (before the series started ofc)
4    4. Oti was fierce again though, I love watching her in these dances
5    5. Another positive thing about Oti: she gets it. A 4 from Craig isn’t that bad for week 3. Think she’s done enough to warrant an invite back.

Carol & Pasha:
1    1. This wasn’t actually that bad?
2    2. Hahahaha, I was almost right about Pasha’s prop (just got it wrong that it would be Carol using it instead of him)
3    3. She, like Jeremy, is the best form of duffer, so I’d be quite happy to see her again.
4    4. Still has major balance issues though.
5    5. Paso to traditional music? Dare I say it, but I think they’re trying to get Carol out…..

Daniel & Kristina:
1    1. Was anyone else thinking that the Strictly producers were taking the p*ss with this routine, as Daniel and Kristina were so clearly in the wrong roles?
2    2. To be fair, the VT was actually a little funny for once.
3    3. Harsh, Bruno, HARSH.
4    4. So we’ve had Botox Daniel, Fun Daniel, and T-Bird Daniel so far, I’d quite like to see Scary Daniel.
5    5. American Smooth to Frank Sinatra? I think I might have to add this to the Drinking Game (see below)

Georgia & Gio (not as cute as him from Ugly Betty, but he'll do):
1    1. Awful VT and so NOT funny.
2    2. This is a first for Movie Week – a song that’s from a film that hasn’t even been released yet.
3    3. At least they had a (slightly) better song choice for a Bond Rumba than poor old Mark Benton did (and technically Fiona Fullerton as well) – but it’s got the bloody song in my head dammit!
4    4. The singer was totally brilliant as well – major props to him.
5    5. Georgia did well with what she had to do, that drop back was awesome. I’d like to see a Quickstep from her next (Note: I wrote most of this up on Sunday, so clearly I was psychic), see if she’s sorted out her balance issues and she should be able to show me some personality (and try to win me over) with that. Also, poor Giovanni, but Len does do this every so often – Aliona and Artem have had this sort of dressing-down before.

Helen & Aljaz:
1    1. Technically good, but DULL.
2    2. Nice outfits though.
3    3. Helen is a bit more bland than Georgia, and I didn’t think that I’d be saying that. Her character on CtM has more life in her.
4    4. Charleston is a-calling, please!
5    5. Salsa to the song that got us to initially like (well I was laughing at) Pamela & James, will Helen be struck by the same curse and have a blonde moment before doing some amazing overacting to attempt to cover it up?

Jamelia & Tristan:
1    1. Much better from her, though it was still awful (and a bit overmarked methinks…..)
2    2. I’m starting to think that Tristan cannot choreograph to save his life.
3    3. She looked so happy when she got those scores though, bless!
4    4. Did they actually do any lifts?
5    5. Some nice Ballroom for her next, I hope. Possibly a Tango might be good for her? (And then she gets Charleston, somehow I think she’ll be bottom 2)

Jay & Aliona:
1    1.  FAN-FLAMING-TASTIC, eat that Jill Halfpenny!
2    2. My dad (who is not a fan of Strictly and gets us to FF through the judges’ comments) made us rewind about 5 times so he could watch the routine again.
3    3. Aliona might have her batsh*t moments sometimes choreographically, but when she’s on it, she’s bloody on it!
4    4.  I actually really fancied Jay in this dance, think it might have been the ponytail….. *phwoar*
5    5. 10 was totally deserved, and Darcey lost her bottle. I don’t really care that he has previous dance experience, as it wasn’t in Ballroom or Latin (Caroline Flack and Matt Baker however…..)

Jeremy & Karen:
1    1. Look at his little face! He’s so enjoying himself, which is what I love to see.
2    2.  Karen probably should have realised that he couldn’t do that foot shuffle ‘hop’ move, he never closed his feet.
3    3.  Loved her in the Clauditorium though, and as I said to my family – there’s a reason why she’s married to Kevin.
4    4. The 3 from Craig was harsh, but the overall score I think was quite fair.
5    5.  They should so ask Tim to do next year (even if in his stage shows, he dances like Anton does Latin)

Katie & Anton:
1    1. Poor Katie, Anton totally let her down with the choreography on this one (at least he admitted it!)
2    2.  To be fair, Cha Cha Cha is probably Anton’s worst Latin, so he might have wanted to get it out the way early on whilst they’re still riding on our good favour.
3    3.  This was more like a Brendan routine (and I say that as a fan of Brendan’s choreography most of the time)
4    4.  Loved Katie’s dress, can’t really say anything else as she didn’t do much else.
5    5.  If only my dad were at home this weekend for their Viennese Waltz to Elvis, he got obsessed with this song when it was used (in an advert?) last year.

Kellie & Kevin:
1    1. Like him or loathe him, you give Kevin a themed dance (on an actual theme week), and he will do wonders with it: first Frankie’s ‘Amer-i-ca’ Paso, and now this.
2    2. Awful beginning though, but fair enough as he has to try and tell us which film it is
3    3. Kellie was on point synchronicity-wise, and anyone who can keep up with Mad Dancer Kevin must be pretty good
4    4.  Nice Ballroom for Kellie please! Will be interesting to see if she can tone down her performance side for something like a Waltz or Foxtrot (I’m on a roll here, Foxtrot it is)
5    5. Hmm, based on Kevin’s 2 Foxtrots so far, this is going to be twee, cheesy or both.

Kirsty & Brendan:
1    1.  Loved the beginning and end, nice work there Brendan.
2    2.  She still cannot do lifts – and she might well need them if she wants to survive to Blackpool
3    3.  I’m still wondering how her hair was done, loved the collar necklace.
4    4.  Kirsty needs to watch herself back and realise just how badly she comes across both in front of the judges and in the Clauditorium, there’s a reason why Gabby Logan didn’t last long (and it wasn’t to do with James, for once)
5    5. Paso to ‘Beautiful Day’ by U2? I can just about see it but somehow I think this will be even worse than Bloody Lulu’s effort (and hers had to resort to flying!)

Peter & Janette:
1    1. Ok, so you know when I said last week that I had faith in Janette that this Paso would be better than poor Jake’s last year? Man, I was so wrong.
2    2. Johnny Depp he wasn’t.
3    3. This wasn’t really a Paso either – the Paso-inspired routine that some contestants on the UK SYTYCD did a few years ago was much better and more authentic than this.
4    4. From 1st to 5th, oh boy did I laugh at that, finally the judges don’t act as if the sun shines out of his backside (still overmarked though)

5    5. From Paso to Tango, getting the ‘easy’ dances out the way early I see. Not sure on the song choice, but Janette got a half-decent Tango out of Jake to ‘Toxic’ last year, so fingers crossed!

      
     And here's the Drinking Game:
      1. Every time Brendan says 'this girl'
2. Every time Len says 'you came aht' (bonus drink if he mentions the word ‘welly’ in the same critique)
3. Every time Craig mentions hands (bonus drink if he uses the word 'spatulistic' at any point)
4. Every time Tess & Claud, or Anita, go on about Gleb and his so-called hunkyness
5. Every time Darcey says ‘the boys are right’ (bonus drink if she’s too busy laughing or fanning herself to talk at any point)
6. Every time Bruno gets out of his chair (bonus drink if he falls off of it)
7. If any of Peter Andre's wife/kids appear in his VT
8. Every time you see Peter Andre try to get into shot in the Clauditorium
9. If Gleb finds a mirror in the Clauditorium after his dance
10. If you see Anton and/or Brendan get up to mischief in the Clauditorium

Week 4 specific:
1.    If Daniel or Ainsley start singing during their routines at any point (1 drink max for each)
2.    Any water-related puns used by the judges after Jeremy’s Jive (drink for each)
3.    Any ‘day’ puns used by the judges after Kirsty and Peter’s routines (max of 2 drinks here, 1 for each dance)
4.    If Carol’s Paso contains more skirt-swishing than anything else (Fern Britton, Frankie Bridge, I’m thinking of you here)
5.    If the singers murder Shakira for Anita’s Samba (they shouldn’t given they’ve sung it before for Rachel Stevens, but you never know)


      *RECYCLED SONG ALERT* count: 16 so far (just 2 from this week)
      
       Anthony's Paso (Dennis & Izabella in series 3, Lisa & Brendan in series 6, 
       Helen's Foxtrot (John & Kristina in series 6)

     (Btw apologies for the numbers appearing at the side, not sure why that's happening)

No comments:

Post a Comment