Friday 30 October 2015

Strictly Come Dancing 2015: Week 5 (Part, the only)

Evening guys! Yes this edition is a bit on the late side, but then I always like finding out what dances the celebs are doing before I put this up.

Style Stakes for this week: Claud looked sexy and Tess' dress was a mess (didn't fit her, clearly). On the celeb side, Kellie & Kevin/Karen/Helen/Jay probably had the best outfits (although Anita's was great as well).



Georgia & Giovanni - Salsa - "(You Make Me Feel) Mighty Real"

I see that Peter has been outgunned on the 'getting the fahmily into a VT' front, this will not do.

Too busy messing with her hair (it's a fast dance so she could have just left it and it would have sorted itself out), she still needs to learn to spot but underarm turns were good. Georgia was so off-balance coming out of some of the turns and lifts that she seemed to have forgotten the routine on a couple of occasions (the side-facing shimmys a big one). She also needs to work on finishing off her arm lines - she's almost there, she just needs to get the hands sorted.  

She and Gio are doing a Tango to Ghostbusters: I'm just wondering whether this is going to be any worse than poor Sid Owen's Cha Cha Cha effort with Ola 3 years ago.

My score: 6.5


Carol & Pasha - Viennese Waltz - "I've Been Loving You Too Long"

Can I just say that this was the most awesome VT ever? Pasha, could you take me to the theme park please? 

Onto the dance itself, and once again, it's obvious that Pash trusts his girl as she was out of hold a fair amount (contrast with Kirsty where Brendan doesn't let her out of his sight). *channels Craig for a few moments* HANDS! So pancake flat, darling *and back to normal Enigma*. She was a bit out of time with Pash towards the end and seemed to get her feet tangled when they were going through the centre parting of the dancefloor, but posture and hand placement in hold looked decent (just needs to straighten out the wrist occasionally, and if you want visual evidence, look at the thumbnail for her clip on the website). Just a bit of polishing needed and her lines would look so much better. 

As for the judges - *channels Gordon Brown from the 2010 election debates for 4 words* "I agree with Craig", *back to normal*, Bruno was way too harsh. And Darcey, she didn't make any mistakes? She clearly forgot the next move at one point - and if I can see it, then it has to be obvious. Fair amount of faffing abaht at the start; it was 20 seconds and yes I did deliberately count. Also, I'm hoping Monkseal's blog showed pics of Carol & Pasha up in the Clauditorium as you could see Kirsty perfecting her 'Secret Escapes' audition (#smugface). Next up is Rumba, and this has been a dance of death (or at least bottom 2) before, but I think she might just strike lucky.

My score: 5


Anita & Gleb - Tango - "Sweet Disposition"

Might just have been the song, but I found this quite boring in all honesty (I'd go as far as saying that I actually preferred Peter's Tango from last week). How many kicks did Gleb want in the routine? Also on the song, if 'Voulez-Vous' and 'Telephone' can be rearranged, then why not this which seriously needed it? 

She needs to watch her topline and hand placement (crook of the armpit for the Tango as Craig says, her thumbnail on the website shows it being out of position). She also has to do some more work on her arms and finishing off her lines, as she was throwing them away at points. Very soft and loose at the start, the beginning needed to be much sharper and she was slightly out of time with Gleb. Was there an illegal lift in there? It looked like there might be on first watch but I couldn't tell when I played it back. Loved her dress as well, just a shame about the eyebrows, they took Cara Delevigne to a whole other level. 

Anita has the first Halloween Waltz, and I'm not too sure how she'll do here as her last slow Ballroom was the American Waff-Waff from week 2.

My score: 7.25


Peter & Janette - Rumba - "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran

He's in the first half of the show? HALLELUJAH! *Ahem*. Their outfits were an oddly bright colour for a Rumba weren't they? (And the 'Blue Peter' joke was awful, but if you think less of the kids' TV show and more of the early Peter Kay joke about 'Blue Ray', it's ironically funny) 

Onto the dance, and not sure if I got the story if I'm honest; however it was probably one of his best performances and the singers did a good job. *Channelling Craig again* HANDS! Seriously dahling, a bit of shaping wouldn't hurt. *and back to normal* I've heard that Aljaz and Janette do all of their choreography together, well in that case, Ali can't be all that good then, because like with Anita, I found this routine a bit tough to watch. I do want to see what the 'dancers' thought of the choreography though, as Janette can't resist throwing in those little eccentricities can she? 

Peter got into the performance, which was good, and what he did seemed good. Male Rumbas are usually awful but this one wasn't too bad. Not enough hip action though, and whilst I'd say this was much better than his Pirate Paso - and Len agreed with me, so as he's the expert I must be right - I do sort of agree with the mark (tells you how much Jack Sparrow got overmarked). 

He has a Foxtrot next, hmm, I can feel a cheese-fest coming on. Not sure how 'Ghost' by Ella Henderson will work, so the band might have to rearrange a little. I think if not for the song, this could be a potential breakthrough for Peter.

My score: 6.75


Kirsty & Brendan - Viennese Waltz - "This Year's Love"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Harry & Aliona in series 9)*

DUCKFACE! (Look at her thumbnail, it's a scream). From the VT, it looks like Brendan has bought himself a one-way ticket to Erin Island ('natural born dancer' my ar*e). 

They took nearly 30 seconds to come down the stairs, 1/3 of routine gone. You could see she was gripping onto Brendan for dear life, and she did seem to miss moving her foot during one of the spins at the top of the dancefloor, which caused her to stumble slightly. Also, free arms weren't good at all. Still, VW is pretty much all in hold (unless you're Carol or a partner of Kristina), so this was always going to favour her. I hate to say it but she did beat Carol tonight for me. 

Off to the judges, and please stop imitating the Andre and repeatedly saying 'thank you' Kirsty, I heard it about 10 times during Bruno's critique (I did laugh at Claud's ongoing snub to Peter by allowing Kirsty to hug her though). 

This week it's a Charleston, and Postmodern Jukebox have been wheeled out again; an artist being played twice in 3 weeks must be some sort of record (the stat fans should be able to tell me). Brendan needs to make like a magician and pull out an SEB-style routine - yes I know they get help for the Charleston but play along please - otherwise I think a trip to the dance-off may beckon.

My score: 5.5


Ainsley & Natalie - Jive - "Shake, Rattle & Roll"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Matt & Flavia in series 5)*

I did wonder who would be the first to REALLY upset Wardrobe this series, think it must have been these 2 as it's the second week running that they've had pink outfits. Oh he does make me smile, although I was a bit nervous at the end with the 'Christ what time is it?' as his facial expression seemed to remind me of Gregg Wallace at the end of his Charleston. Also, they were both outgurning Kellie, Kevin and even Kristina in the performance department (I did for a moment think that Natalie WAS Kristina at the start, it must be the fringe). More Rock n Roll than Jive, but the song called for it and it suited Ainsley (loved the Elvis bendy legs) - Nat pitched this perfectly for him. 

Quick sidestep to the judges, and was it just me or was the audience reaction very delayed to Len's 'get up on your balls more' comment? Either that or I must have a very dirty mind - probably the latter in all fairness. He's probably the best old man that there's been on the show, but it was about the right time for him to go. I shall forever love him and Natalie for their Tango alone - I still watch it repeatedly I must admit!

My score: 4.25


Jamelia & Tristan - Foxtrot - "Because You Loved Me"

Before the dance: loved Claudia's horse joke, she should so be an actress. Also, how old is Jamelia's eldest daughter? She looked more like her younger sister (I'm still not sure whether that's more of a compliment to Jamelia or an insult to her daughter).

Erm, this seemed a bit quick for a Foxtrot in places? And Tristan for god sake stop making her do ugly things with her legs as it never looks good (although that underarm spin to go back into hold towards the end was awesome). Was there an illegal lift here too? Hands and top line looked good (best hands of the night possibly). Still don't think Tristan can choreograph - I would have swapped her with Kirsty as I reckon Brendan could have got more out of her. 

Also, Tristan's raised eyebrows as they went back to the Clauditorium were just a bit odd (love Team Jaliona's reactions to them though, just watch them in the background as it's so sweet). Felt a bit sorry that she was in the bottom 2 again, hopefully this week she can bounce back. 

Time Warp Jive? I have a feeling that we've been here before (the not-so-famous one from Destiny's Child and Brendan, natch), but apparently this is meant to be good.....

My score: 6


Katie & Anton - Salsa - "It Had Better Be Tonight"

It wasn't tonight. I've wanted them to use this song for ages, ever since I first heard it on an M&S advert (the ones with Lisa Snowdon and Dannii Minogue). 

WHAT ON GOD'S EARTH WAS THAT?!  *goes to have a lie down*

'Night on the lash' Katie was back, and boy do I love her. She looked good at the beginning but then something went wrong with the first lift. She kind of got it back but then the first drop seemed to knock her off kilter and she went really out of time (finishing drop was appalling). Almost as big a hot mess as Kirsty's Salsa - and that takes some doing! We can't blame Anton though - they get outside help with Salsa choreography (although it did feel more like an Anton comedy routine than anything else; what did you do Beaky?)

Over to the judges, and the audience prompted Tess there ('We loved it!'): that's a first. Also loved Natasha's (Katie's daughter) nervous '....10?'. 

Paso next week? *scrambles to vote for Katie* An Anton Paso is usually good entertainment if nothing else (even Judy last year) - even if it is to Phantom of the flaming Opera.

My score: 4.75


Jeremy & Karen - Waltz - "She"

From VT: Fanboy Jeremy is cute! Onto the dance!

*goes into Grace Jones mode* 'Strange, I've seen that staircase before....' (a pro routine for those who wondered). I do love Jeremy as you guys well know by now, and this was a sweet if not spectacular Waltz - I did tear up a little when I first watched it. His topline looked alright, footwork seemed ok, not a bad job Jezza. When you think that really he's competing with Dan Lobb and Audley Harrison (tall males of the older persuasion that have come before him), he's not doing too badly now is he? (Although this dance made the height difference between Jeremy and Karen obvious)

Over to the judges, and have Craig and Bruno swapped bodies a la 'Freaky Friday' (the one with Lindsay Lohan, before she went all.... freaky)? Halloween is next week boys, you're just a bit early! Bruno was way too harsh - but I did love how Karen said she'd 'take one for the team' after Craig's comment about how Jeremy looked like he was dragging a log, and how Brendan said 'that was beautiful' as they got up to the Clauditorium. Craig's score is becoming a running joke (and when you look at the pit after whilst Claud is reading out the T's & C's, you wonder where Peter buggered off to).

Salsa to Thriller next time though? This is going to be hilarious.

My score: 5


Helen & Aljaz - Quickstep - "You Can't Hurry Love"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Will & Hanna in series 3, and Dani & Vincent in series 10)*

VT, and Aljaz would never get a job as a commentator. Onto the dance!

Dani & Vincent anyone? Ahem. Oh yes, you know how I mentioned Aljaz and his choreography before? Well this is a perfect example to illustrate. Like Brendan before him, too much time spent faffing telling the story, but when they eventually get to it, it's great. Lots of gapping though (think it's just an Aljaz thing, as his Quickstep with Abbey was the same) and she was slightly behind him in part of one Charleston section, but Helen held her topline really well (beautiful hands as well). Floor sweep not required. I watched this dance and I thought: 'is that what Susanna & Kevin's 'Good Morning' Quickstep was meant to be?'

Samba to Scissor Sisters? Do the producers remember what happened last time they did this (Sunetra was in the dance-off that week iirc)? Even IDFLD is a better Samba song than 'Take Your Mama', and could someone tell me the connection between that song and Halloween? Answers on a postcard please!

My score: 7.75


Jay & Aliona - Paso Doble - "It's My Life"

*RECYCLED SONG ALERT! (Ray & Camilla in series 4)*

*Sigh* my sort of male Paso, so manly (although I don't think anyone will ever overtake Mark Ramprakash for me in that respect). I was listening to this song earlier today actually (have it on my ipod), and although it's not the best song for a Paso, I think Aliona could have done a lot more with this - I think of poor Ashley's Bon Jovi Paso with Ola 2 years ago, and as much as I'm not a fan of Ola's Latin Choreography, I think she did a much better job with it. Jay's lines were good, great hands, however he was slightly ahead of Aliona in the bit where he brought his arms over his head and cocked his leg up (sorry I don't know the name, but it's a funny mental image).

Over to the judges, and Len's look of 'WTF?' whilst Darcey was talking was brilliant. And good lord Bruno, but at least the audience got it more quickly than Tessbot did. As a side note, Anita did not look happy after seeing this dance; but then again, Ainsley just amusingly wandered into shot so I don't care all that much.

Next time, it's an American Smooth, with a 'Little Red Riding Hood' theme. So basically Kimberley & Pasha's Paso but with Ballroom and lifts? Is that right? I do wonder how Jay will handle the lifts......

My score: 7.5


Kellie & Kevin - Jive - "One Way Or Another"

This is so much better watching on the second view - Kev's good run of Jives continues. I was thinking that Kevin was doing his usual over-dancing trick that makes the celeb look even worse but he actually wasn't (I watched for a 3rd time just to make sure), which tells you something about how good Kellie must be. Kicks and flicks were good, free arms were generally good too (suitcase prop not really helping there). I think Kevin might just make it 3 finals in a row.....

On another point, I could watch Tess running into shot over and over again - now if only she'd overshot herself and skidded into place......

(Basically, their Halloween Paso is a mash-up of an Alice Cooper song covered by Glee, and the theme tune from Harry Potter, any excuse for Kev to do his Draco Malfoy impression)

My score: 8.25


My Leaderboard (all marks multiplied by 4 to give a score out of 40):
1. Kellie & Kevin - 33
2. Helen & Aljaz - 31
3. Jay & Aliona - 30
4. Anita & Gleb - 29
5. Peter & Janette - 27
6. Georgia & Giovanni - 26
7. Jamelia & Tristan - 24
8. Kirsty & Brendan - 22
=9. Carol & Pasha, Jeremy & Karen - 20
11. Katie & Anton - 19
12. Ainsley & Natalie - 17


*RECYCLED SONG ALERT!* count: 26 thus far

No comments:

Post a Comment